Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Ferrite on P24 : a negative experience

Hi all
after a discussion with Mark (hfavandenpas) about to try the use of ferrite rings ( and caps) on a picoPSU, and his apparently good idea about positioning ferrite after the picopsu but not on the cable that feeds it, today I've performed this test.
Using a P24 extension cable I've isolated each positive cable for 12V, 5V and 3,3V so I've joined each cable of same voltage togheter with some ground cable. At the end I've had three ferrite rings, one for each voltage, put on the extension cable. No caps at this stage.
In brief: a disaster!
Sound quality was died, music lifeless, no more dynamic, no more transparency, a dull, muddy sound. Impossible to believe!
So I've removed extension cable and sound return gorgeous and transparent, full of dynamic. My usual sound quality, indeed.
My conclusion:
- ferrite after the picoPSU is harmful on sound quality
- P 24 feeding is very important for SQ, and picoPSU is a good solution if feeded by a linear PSU
- I can't understand why so disastrous effect. Could It be an alterate function of switching regulators of pico caused by interference of near ferrite magnetic field?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.