Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player

cPlay/cMP:
- 24bit/32bit?
cPlay specs: Media Format.........................Stereo only
WAV (16, 24, 32 PCM; 32 float)
FLAC (16, 24, 32 PCM)
cMP: Ensure bit-perfect delivery of precision-upsampled (24/192) data via a soundcard to an external DAC with no compromise in jitter performance.
Therefore what can the cPlay/cMP combo play 24 or 32-bit audio files?
As a commercial audio CDs/files listener it doesn’t bother me as, to my knowledge, no 32-bit audio files are available on the market (for now). But as a recording engineer who processes his audio files at 32-bit it would be a plus to be able to listen to them at their native resolution ie 32-bit.
On top of it nowadays are available several new 32-bit DACs.

- Digital volume: Offers high quality 64 bit double precision digital volume control (in 0.5db steps). What that’s mean within a 32-bit computer?
are we still in the ‘-6dB attenuation equals a 1-bit loss’ scheme?

- RAM: the lowest (256Mb) the better BUT 4Gb the better for 24/192 playback!!!
But if everything is being upsampled to 24/192 what does it mean?

- ‘plug-in’ is processed AFTER resampling. Does it mean that DRC correction filters are to be in 24/192?

Softwares:
- I intend to use DRC > use of the VST plug-in at 24 or 32-bit?
- I intend to use a DVD optical drive to be able to quickly listen to whoever’s calling in with CDs/DVDs. Might I be able to listen to a CD ‘live’ thru the cPlay/cMP?
- I intend to use DC7 to capture vinyl into computer, process the RIAA correction in the computer domain and then play it thru cPlay/cMP; is it possible?
- for all of the above can’t the processes being implemented BEFORE resampling?

Hardware:
- is there any advantages in using ‘fan-less’ internal PSUs or ‘fan-less’ external PSUs instead of the recommended ones, which are ‘fan-with’ and internal PSUs?
- a lot is said about powering the soundcard on its own. But mine is a ESI Juli@ and, to my knowledge, is powered from the mobo with no other option. How to do it?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.