Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Yes the value is based on chipset used. For Kingston HyperX measure I meant Biostar mobo and not Dell...

Such highs of 17watts is likely - the rule of thumb was 3 watts per 256MB giving 12watts for 1GB.

Sandra calculates whenever it recognizes the mobo chipset. From my understanding, this is the only way to determine RAM power consumption as it depends on RAM commands performed (which is what the software does and how RAM is implemented - the chipset). On datasheet specifications (Kingston KHX6400D2UL) you'll get 'operational' power consumption of 1.922watts or in your case 2.1watts - this doesn't include activity or RAM commands. See here on detailed power calculation. Vdd in your case is 2.1V.

Power consumed is based on manufacturer specifications (by command like IDD7) and other items. In your case with Vdd at 2.1V, power reported would not be correct. As a rough guide add the proportional increase in voltage to watts reported by Sandra. Sandra also adds the chipset power component - thats why you get different readings from different chipsets. The large difference is a surprise - have you tried contacting Sandra? My Dell uses Intel chipset giving 17.4watts total. What chipset does your PC that shows 15.5watts use?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.