Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Newbie questions, etc.

So I've attempted the most out of all the tweaks/BIOS changes/optimizations as I could as outlined on cicsmemoryplayer.com, given that I am running a Windows 7 system I have mostly built for light gaming. I've certainly made some objective progress - DPC Latency.exe went from something like 250-300us pre-tweaks to 4-17us afterwards, and Foobar2000 is stable at 50ms buffer without any audible dropouts/pops/clicks, which I wasn't able to achieve before.

Anyway, my questions pertain mostly to cMP mode versus XP mode - is it even possible to launch cMP in cMP mode in Windows 7? It appears not, to me, as I've looked through a variety of ways to forgo the Welcome screen/disable it in Windows 7, and not have succeeded in starting cMP in cMP mode after reboot, unless I'm missing something. The closest I've come is getting Windows 7 to require CTRL+ALT+DEL to enter a login, which I stopped by disabling the need for a login. Someone else, via a Google search, mentioned doing a "No GUI" boot in msconfig to completely forgo the Welcome screen in Windows 7, but that requires a reboot directly from msconfig, and I don't see how I can get that to coincide with cMP's rebooting for cMP mode.

Secondly, I've noticed a weird, likely placebo-borne "improvement" in SQ just from launching Foobar2000 via the "Explore" button in cMP (in XP mode, so it's, assumingly, using Windows Explorer) versus launching Foobar2000 normally outside of cMP. I've done A/B comparisons many times over to confirm this, and am going pretty batty trying to reconcile with myself why this could be happening. Am I incorrect in assuming that there is no difference between launching Foobar2000 in XP mode with "Explore" and launching Foobar2000 outside of cMP (so in normal Windows desktop/explorer/etc.)? If not, what exactly could account for my perceived difference in SQ? I understand that, even without loading files to RAM via a cue sheet, cMP disables explorer.exe and much of its other "footprint" - is this correct? If so, am I not reversing this by pressing the "Explore" button and thus re-launching explorer.exe?

Thanks for the help.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.