Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

my two cents.......

Hi Theo,

Don’t worry I don’t feel offended so easily.
Discussing things also provides me with new insights.

Keep in kind that I do the following reasoning without any real in-depth knowledge of how things really work.
But here are my considerations:

I just look at the currency meters of my Velleman and TTi linear PSU.
I try too get best of both worlds: stable power and accurate processing/timing.

- Stable power (with no spiky ups and downs) is imho not equal to: lowest power consumption.
- Although low power consumption certainly helps too get stable power from a PSU.
- Also internal clocks like a steady and stable power.
- A steady voltage level, also increases accuracy while identifying the threshold value’s for when something is a ‘one’ or when something is a ‘zero’.
- Reducing speed reduces power consumption but also reduces errors (increases accuracy)
- Stable power is also maintained when there is a steady and stable workload.

* Low and steady workload.
There is less workload when there is no up-sampling needed and/or no decoding needed.
Although these are very steady workloads, not using it, is the most simple and straight forward way too reduce workload.

* reducing speed.
I think this is also very straight forward.
In modern computers high speeds are not needed for simple tasks like processing a stream of audio bits too an external DAC.
So reducing speed for audio stream processing can be done without immediate trade offs, because one easily stays far above the minimum needed speed levels. Reducing speed however significantly saves power. Look at the currency meter!
I also think it improves accuracy

* reducing voltage.
To me reducing voltage is a less straight forward thing. I have a feeling (no real knowledge!) that one should not let a system work on the edge of a breakdown.
I like too stay well above the absolute minimum needed voltage levels too keep it working properly and accurate. May be this comparison isn’t valid, but overclockers raze voltages too get more accuracy at higher speeds.
Also look at the currency meter, there isn’t so much more too win on power, by going al the way down and letting the system work on the edge of breakdown.

So I consider voltage reducing, too be more of a balancing act. While reducing speed and reducing workload are more straight forward.

None of this is based on any real in-depth knowledge.
It’s just me guessing, speculating and conceptualising.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • my two cents....... - hfavandepas 14:30:44 02/17/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.