Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

-12v not needed for GA-G31M-S2L motherboard startup...

(Note that I also posted this in the fully-linear supply sub-thread below).

I was putting my original Linear-Hybrid supply back together this weekend so I can make some comparisons to my fully linear supply and also try running the P4 from a supply that's plugged into my 'dirty' AC line.

When I was testing it, I saw that the -12v was not working... it only registered about -3v.

Then I remembered that early in my PSU experimentation, I'd damaged the -12v output on a PicoPSU when poking around to find the voltages in a Juli@. At the time I'd replaced that PicoPSU, but later put it back into the system when I went to separate power for my Juli@ & DAC.

My system has been starting up with a very low -voltage since about this time last year!

So I tried starting up the system with the fully linuear supply with the -12v (9v battery) not on... and it worked ok.

Gene, not sure why this didn't work for you, but it works very consistently for me.

Gene, Mihaylov, and Mark, can you retest this with the GA-G31M-ES2L boards?

JackWong, can you check with the GA-H55M-UD2H board?

If it works with these newer boards, it will simplify the setup of fully linear supplies by eliminating the need for one voltage!

I've unplugged my -9v battery!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • -12v not needed for GA-G31M-S2L motherboard startup... - GStew 18:47:48 07/25/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.