Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks for the help I got it sorted out

HI Leif,

Well I have had more time to fiddle with things and I found out that the issue was with allocator or my understanding of it :)

For some reason I cant understand there was a whole bunch of stuff chosen on the arbitrator tab. I found this because while things were stable I was getting crackles on bass heavy material. I looked at the allocator site and sure enough there was a link between arbitrator and bass and pops.

I turned it all off and check this out with the bios settings cics recommends, I get glitch free operation with Allocator and 176k 145db upsampling and 32 for the lynx buffer!! 900hz for processor speed and .725 v for cpu voltage. Everything else is per cmp2 specs.

It seems very stable so far and no pops or clicks when opening cplay settings or allocators window.

Here is what I discovered. Cplay has an idiosyncrasy that can lead to some confusion and down right bad conclusions. For instance I THOUGHT I was getting 192k at a buffer setting of 32. Well no I wasnt. See cplay doesnt save anything when you make an asio buffer change. For example I go and set the buffer to 32, end up in the cplay settings and then set the sample rate from 176 to 192. Restart and wow no pops. Hours later I look in the settings and it is at 176. Once you change the asio it doesnt take any of the other changes. Sure it calls this out by giving you a CANCEL option only to exit, but i need something a bit more Dawnrazor proof :).

Now the quandary is not Allocator but Arbitrator. IMHO that is the best part of Allocator but seems to add all the latency. It will be interesting to see if I can get it working, but it seems to be worth it. Also Jan talks about settings of 8000 but lynx only goes to 1024. What is he talking about?

I guessed that any kind of external connection would only have to increase latency. Though I thought that firewire was supposed to take some of the processing away from the computer. Though I can see where there would be more latency with an external connection.

Can you e-mail me about the fir filters you are using?

Thanks

PS, here is a post I found that you might have seen, but just in case I think you might appreciate it

Cut to razor sounding violins

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks for the help I got it sorted out - Dawnrazor 11:15:24 03/10/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.