Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Change off plans. PSU Improvements part 3 (almost) solved. Thankx to Gene_.

Hi Bertel,

Change off plans.

Since Gene_ showed how too power up the MoBo manually, my efforts to improve power supply to the cMP2 PC (PSU improvements part 3), will again be directed back to the 3,3 Volt and 5 Volt rail of the P24 connector.

In theory it now looks strikingly simple to realise a full linear power supply for the P24 connector:
- power the 3.3 Volt, 5 Volt and the 12Volt rail with a good Linear PSU or battery;
- also power the +5Volt stand-by on pin 9 (purple wire) to activate the Power Control Circuit on the MoBo;
- also give some -9 <-> -12 Volt (bleu wire) for starting the serial controller on the GA-G31M-ES2L MoBo;

Switch manually (or with a relay) a +5 Volt signal (PWR_OK signal) to pin 8 (grey wire) and there you go. The PCC will start the MoBo.

Gene_ proved that giving the PWR_OK signal on pin 8 (grey wire) is not time critical at all.
It doesn't have to be done within 500 milliseconds as the ATX formfactor suggests.
The PWR_OK signal can be given at any desired time.
When there is power present on the 3.3 Volt, 5 Volt and the 12Volt rail and the Power Control Circuit is active (+5 volt on pin 9 (purple wire)), the PCC will start the MoBo.

I tested this in my setup with the ANTEC Earth Watts and it works.
Giving the PWR_OK signal manually on pin 8 (grey wire) at P24 connector. cMP2 project.

Gene_ already showed that it also works in his setup with a combo of linear PSU’s and battery power.

So when I have sold my Lynx L22 card, I will buy myself from that money, a very nice and decent linear laboratory PSU with two (3.3V, 5V) or may be even three (3.3V, 5V, 12V) quality DC outputs. And PSU improvements part 3 will be realised !!

A hybrid Power Supply solution on the P24 connector will no longer be necessary. A full computer linear power supply on the P24 connecter will than be realised. (with again many thankx to Gene_)

Edits: 11/25/09 11/25/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.