Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

the common mode keeps the 0 Volt 'cleaner'. So may be better SQ

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

So I remembered correctly. :-)
I think you made a very good move too point inmates too an online (!) quality knowledge source. Since it is an online source, it can serve as a common reference point in discussions on the forum. I often read so much ‘Vodoo’, Black magic’ and other blabla that such an online reference point can be extremely helpful.

So you also think the main effect of the smoothing caps is the effect of shunting ‘HF crud’ to the 0 volt. I think the same. But I asked myself if shunting to the ground would be a better way.

That’s why I pointed at both methods. The differential-mode (shunting ‘HF crud’ too 0 Volt) and the common-mode (shunting ‘HF crud’ too the ground) and showed a picture of the basic circuit of the common-mode method.

When using the common-mode, the ‘HF crud’ doesn’t travel back through 0 Volt which keeps the 0 Volt ‘cleaner’.

So I thought: well let’s ask if the more knowledgable and smarter inmates on the forum already do this. And most important: do they hear an improvement in sound quality.

Mark

Since it’s 12, 5, 3,3 volt DC I see no real safety issues. But If there are life safety issues please correct (!!!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • the common mode keeps the 0 Volt 'cleaner'. So may be better SQ - hfavandepas 04:25:50 12/15/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.