Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Did not get around to it ...

And then I saw many of those posts, too.

I think what made me reconsider is the problem with the switchers infecting the AC lines.

So, I am back to resigning myself to the noble task of AC powered linear supplies.

I have the stuff on had to make most of them and I intend to use chokes before (or maybe after?) the regulators to control some of the digital noises. There again I am not sure if the choke's filtering may result in ringing if used after. I like the idea of having some element that isolates the circuit in both directions. Wish I had an oscilloscope.

I am thinking of using a large choke in the ground line for this purpose.

Have you considered using a current regulator before the voltage regulator instead of cascaded voltage regulators? Not sure if you were using one or two. I am assuming one can use the LT regulators in this way. They say you can on the data sheet but unlike the LM317 data sheet they show no implementation.

Broke down and ordered one of the BURSON 5 volts shunt regulators yesterday for JULI@. Maybe these circuits have to be regulated electronically?

I will use the LT3080 for the the other rails since it has vastly superior ripple rejection to much higher frequencies. To use on the 5 volts rail would require paralleling and I am not sure I should attempt that.

Now to DO something.

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.