Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I wish I knew enough to help

Frank,

I am glad you took my short comment in a good way. I worry sometimes when someone suggests one of the "deluxe" MBs that they have missed the point of cics's system.

All of cics's research has led him to minimizing power required to do the task at hand. And in this case it is nothing but playing music.

If you are doing a HTPC, which I have an interest in also, I would make it a dedicated machine. I do think the two tasks are so different that they would be at odds.

If you want an excellent device for playing CD's and you do not want to spend thousands of dollars consider following the instructions to the letter and I can assure you you will be amazed at what is possible.

I had no interest in computers before reading cics's papers and posts so I am the last one to give advice. What I know centers around his system.

If you are striving for the best possible audio I would think again about using the computer as a crossover. As cics specifies using an outboard DAC, I would wonder if this would also apply to a crossover. Such an arrangement would be fine for HT but I would worry that with high resolution speakers you might not be happy. I have no idea. I am sticking with chokes and capacitors before the amplifier inputs.

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I wish I knew enough to help - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 08:09:30 11/12/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.