Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Additional Description Given

Grant,

I am sorry my description was not clear.

First off, I WISH I could directly solder the cable at both ends. The best connector is always NO CONNECTOR in my experience.

Nonetheless, I have made all of my other cables but for some reason I am using a STEREOVOX XV2 between JULI@ and DAC. It impressed me with its reasonable cost and the fact that its default connector is a BNC.

SO there are AMPHENOL BNCs as described before at both DAC and JULI@. Both are the type that allow soldering. I am using the ALLEN WRIGHT narrow silver foil between the female BNC's and the PCB. My lenghts are about 1.25 inches.

This is a delicate task since the points to which one solders on the JULI@ board are close together. I used little bits of my favorite paper tape (3M Blue painters tape, makes a great cable dielectric, stays sticky and pliable) but back to the subject at hand, I used the tape to cover the "pins" I am not going to use just to have a little insurance that I do not accidentally engage them.

My BNC jack at the JULI@ card is being held by a CABLE TIE, thanks for telling me what they are called. There is a hole above the "pins" that was used to attach the plate that would attach to a normal computer case. NOT AN ELEGANT SOLUTION, I know, but it works in my case. You simply make the loop place the connector within the loop and cinch it tightly.

I first soldered my foil lenghts to the connector. I then "attached" the connector to the board with the cable tie. Lastly, I soldered the foils to the board. I then attached the breakout cable and made sure I had no change in resistance from the new BNC to the old breakout cable RCA (even though in my case it was a BNC that had replaced the RCA)

I am going to replce the e5200 in my set-up with the e7200 this evening.

I am starting to think that the e5200 may be a little over its head.

Bye,

Rick McInnis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Additional Description Given - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 08:29:14 11/03/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.