Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: How to implement many of cmp ideas for a non-dedicated pc

One of the ways to get the best of both worlds (well not quite), is to do a dual boot setup. You can install a 2nd copy of XP on the same computer (preferably on a 2nd partiton, but I've managed to have 3 on the same drive).

One copy of Windows is optimized for cMP and cPlay, and the other one is a full copy. The only thing is that the BIOS settings have to be set for one or the other, as you can't have multiple versions of the BIOS setups (Hey, that would be a useful feature...).

To do this boot off the CD and when XP Setup asks which drive to install it in choose a different partition, or if none available choose the same one. When it asks to format choose "Leave the File System Intact" and it will install the 2nd copy in a distinct directory (typically WINDOWS.0).

Just make sure you keep installed programs and data separate for both copies, if the first copy uses "Program Files" make a new one called "Program Files 2" and install stuff for that copy in there. Note that in "Documents and Settings" you will have duplicates of all the folders distinct for each copy. If it is on a separate partition it's a lot easier to deal with. You will get a Boot Menu on startup asking which copy to load. To change the names in the menu edit the "boot.ini" file in the root directory carefully following cics' instructions.

Good luck

Frodan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.