Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

thanks for adding too the mix. Looking forward too read your experience with the SSD.

Hi Ryelands,

* Just too be sure I understand everything correctly (I’m not a native English speaker):

In your cMP^2 setup you use a 2,5” HDD with dedicated PSU with the OS + music files stored on it.
You than plugin a USB flash drive, you copy some music files onto that USB flash drive and you play the music files from that USB flash drive.
The result is: the files played from the USB drive sound better than when the same files are played from the HDD.

Hmm well yes…. That’s remarkable.

I haven’t tried that, but I still have the Samsung HDD lying around too plug it back in and see if I can replicate the phenomenon.

* On sound quality and spinning HDD.
If after 3 minutes the HDD spins down, I don’t hear any sound quality differences in my cMP setup.
Do you hear sound quality differences?

In my setup, I just swap the HDD out and the SSD in place.
So: same power supply situation, same sata port, same sata cable.
Just the fact that there is a HDD connected (with dedicated power supply through a ‘dirty’ picoPSU 150 XT) results in sound quality degradation (compared too a SSD).
It doesn’t matter if the HDD is spinning or not.

* On strange behaviour from FLAC files in cPlay.
I noticed some more strange behaviour when cPlay handles flac-files.
Sometimes cPlay also doesn’t list all the individual tracks in a flac-file.
Though when using Foobar on the same flac file, Foobar is listing these individual tracks.
I haven’t looked closely into these differences between foobar and cPlay because I convert flac files back too wav-files.
But it seems Foobar does a better job handling flac files.
Soo may be cPlay needs ‘a closer look under the hood’ too see if it’s handles flac files correctly.

* I’m looking forward too hear from your experience with implementing that little SSD in your setup.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.