Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I'm not sure what that'd be...

Or even if there is one... especially if you are willing to modify the card.

My opinion... Few if any sound cards are designed to provide a high-quality SPDIF & I2S feed for use in a dedicated, high-end, tweaky music like ours. The Juli@ uses older, but still good chips. No other card I know of provides such easy access to the I2S feeds and removal of 90% of the stuff we don't need by just lifting off the analog portion. And it takes well to modification... and is inexpensive enough to do so with impunity.

I'm interested in hearing of alternatives. But I think that most of the development today is around USB-connected interfaces... and the EXAU21, the Luckit.biz XMOS-based unit, and the upcoming Twisted Pear unit are the best bets at this time in this realm... but it will change at time marches.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Listening to the Juli@ digital section with mostly Oscon additional filtering caps instead of large-value ceramics. Interesting contrast... Both are good and each has it's strong points. I'm going to delay my next report a few days to give this card (it was unused) and it's mods time to break in a bit and also swap back in the ceramic-bypassed card with a couple of tweaks to try and reduce it's negatives while keeping it's strong points. Couple of teaser photos attached...

Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I'm not sure what that'd be... - GStew 21:14:46 12/04/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.