Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: indeed very nice and very informative post too. thank you for that.

Just to make the point that, aside from the choke, John's design doesn't actually use exotic components. None of the selected capacitors, rectifiers, resistors, etc are boutique and even the choke is a stock item. They can all be purchased from Mouser.

The design aims not so much to provide the cleanest of ultra-clean supplies to the powered device but to prevent noise from the powered device feeding back into the mains supply and thus into other devices in the system. As noted in John's original post:

. . . the design has been tuned for these parts, if you substitute other parts it may not work as well. Don't skip the choke, it is what makes this design work. The resistors can be 1/4W or 1/2W carbon or metal film. Cheap ones work fine here, they don't have to be super expensive audiophile types. C1 should be a film type, I use the Sprauge orange drop, but others will work as well.

The design is a bit unusual, it uses a choke in a low voltage design. This has some interesting properties. Primary among them is the use of a fairly small first cap which radically cuts down on the peak currents through the diodes. With low peak currents and Schottky diodes there is essentially no RF noise in this design. And on top of that I added a secondary snubber (C1 and R1) which prevents the transformer from resonating as well. The upshot is that this is one of the cleanest power supplies you will ever find, it has no RF and has one of the lowest impacts on the main AC line as it's possible to get with a PS.

See link.

I built one to power my Fit-PC2 and another to power a three-tower DDDAC. For the latter, I used a larger transformer (80VA, split bobbin as specified) and slightly more elaborate voltage regulator circuits, one for each tower. Though they're passing about 1.2 amps, neither the transformer nor the choke get warm let alone hot.

Both PSUs made for big SQ improvements.

I'm delighted for Audio Bling that his investment of time and money has worked so well - many thanks for a useful report.

Edits: 06/09/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: indeed very nice and very informative post too. thank you for that. - Ryelands 09:24:43 06/09/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.