Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: RAM / PSU

Thanks for the feedback.

1. RAM. Recommendation is to use one 1GB RAM module as the Biostar P4M900 (VIA chipset) yields a command rate of 1T. When I test with 2x512MB RAM modules this changes to 2T (an additional clock cycle delay between RAM commands). The OCZ you have is perfect.

I found sound doesn't change much when comparing directly and would struggle to describe differences. I wanted to test 2 modules to see if there was better bandwidth (this is not the case).

2. PSU. Go for highest wattage as budget allows as this reduces ripple voltage. All PSUs must meet ATX standards which amongst other things, specify ripple voltage in absolute terms, eg. 12V1 & 12V2 within 120mV ripple (Vpp) at alls loads (see section 3.2.6 in ATX link provided)! For this to occur at higher loads, PSU suppliers must do more to manage voltage. Benefit comes in big time with audio as we consume significantly less power (and therefore see much less ripple noise).

I haven't done direct PSU comparisons. In my case it was the 350watt (Zalman TNN-300) vs 700watt CoolerMaster (using Zalman HD160XT case). I also had different soundcards (RME for 350watt & Juli@ for 700watt) and different RAM (1x1GB for 350watt & 2x512MB for 700watt). 350watt one also enjoys benefit of a SR Designers Ref power cord.

Both scenarios give stunning results (as redirecting load to 'dirty' PSUs helps greatly) and would say the 700watt yielded a better performance (using a stock power cord). The better performance comes from less ripple noise and Juli@ soundcard (vs RME HDSP 9652). RME card does off-host ASIO processing (which is not needed as E2140 has plenty headroom even when underclocked) and has more complexity (supporting 52 channels). I like Juli@'s simple but quality approach (and have also removed its analogue PCB).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.