Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: battery power

Hi mate! ;-)

I have neither tried this nor do I have any particular knowledge about this product/solution, but it sounds interesting from the charging/handling side of things. It combines a number of battery packs with a regulated voltage output, and it provides ATX signaling, a VERY interesting feature.

However, there's two aspects to take care of:

- When it comes to proper voltage supply for digital circuits, providing the power as quickly and as exactly is of utmost importance, thus internal resistance of the power supply is key. But when adding battery packs like NiMH, internal resistance soon goes over the top - I know that because in my experiments with NiMH packs I have easily reached levels well into the thousands of mOhm...

- This is not a problem when combining the packs with appropriate capacitance - but the regulator needs to be able to handle huge capacitance. For this reason I use THEL regulators, they deliberately have a somewhat higher internal resistance and react quite "slow" providing a "weak" power supply which can successfully feed and load even huge capacitance of several ten thousands of uF.

- As for 3.3V, I prefer direct supply with LiFePo packs which have unmatched internal resistance and usually last very long when sized properly. So in my system, I boot up with a regular ATX power supply to get the ATX boot timing etc. right and then switch over to clean battery power - a modular, non-integrated, quite "old-fashioned" approach that in turn gives me full control and exchangeability of all components involved, I think that's what I prefer ;-)

Regards,
Robert

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: battery power - Bertel 13:20:44 08/19/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.