Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

External Clocking Clarifications...

Hi Theo

Pardon me for not being clear enough at the outset...

The Benchmarks:
1) DAC1 receives a digital input. The format can be AES/EBU, or S/PDIF on copper coax, or S/PDIF on optical TOSlink. DAC1 does not have a separate WORDCLOCK input, rather it determines the incoming sample rate from the embedded clock. DAC1 has NO digital outputs of any kind... and therefore nothing to offer for externally clocking the Juli@.

2) ADC1 sends a digital output. The output format can be AES/EBU, and S/PDIF on copper coax, and S/PDIF on optical TOSlink (the clock is embedded in the output signal). ADC1 ALSO has a dedicated WORDCLOCK output (not suitable for use with Juli@).

Most (I hesitate to say "all"...) professional equipment will provide an input for WORDCLOCK, the idea being that all devices must sync up with one master clock, in order that the sample rates of every device operate as one. The better the clock, the better the gear works "as one", and reduced timing errors = better sound. That's why studios will spend a small fortune on a really good Master Clock - the only job it does is to provide a very precise reference for everyone to sync to.

Juli@:
As with most other non-pro cards, the Juli@ has no dedicated WORDCLOCK-IN. It will sync to the incoming signal on it's digital-IN. Your task is to find a device you can afford to buy, that can output an S/PDIF signal up to 192 KHz (presuming you are interested in using that rate of upsampling in cPlay). That device will be some kind of Analog-to-Digital converter that has S/PDIF output on copper coax.

Sorry, you haffta get another Box to play this game. Yeah... Take One for The Team !

A little clearer now ?
Cheers,
Grant

That's not a Toy... IT'S A TOOL !!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.