Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

if you can, get rid of the processor fan. :-) RE: Current measurements on powersupply P4 pin

Hi Theo,

I use a fanless cooler. This one:
http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-LOW-7000_silent-7cm-high-CPU-Cooler.htm .
From which I detached the fan part.

If I remember correctly I red in one of your posts lately, that you still use your processor fan.
If you run your processor at voltages lower than 1.0000 volt and you also under-clock, then I would go for fanless.
It made an improvement in SQ in my setup.

Some background:
At first, I ran the E7300 processor a few weeks with the original cooler that came with the processor.
I couldn’t find the type of fanless cooler that Cics shows in his AOB manual. And when I finally did find it, I found it horribly expensive.
But in those few weeks I had seen that, when under-volted and under clocked, the CPU doesn’t run hot. So I decided that other cooler models with enough heatpipes and a large exchange surface, probably also would do the job.

Very strange discovery:
There was an improvement in sound quality, when I changed from the original cooler too the fanless cooler.
The strange part is: …… I never powered the original coolerfan from the mobo. While using the original fan for a few weeks, I powered the original coolerfan from the second external PSU that also powers the HDD, USB, DVD. So I expected to find no difference in sound quality when removing the orginal fan. Because it wasn’t powered by the mobo, but powered by the second external PSU.

Somewhat strange:
This couldn’t be repeated with the coolerfan in my Zahlman ZM600-HP PSU.
Running the Zahlman coolerfan from the second PSU also made a little improvement in SQ.
But completely removing the fan from the PSU unit (just like removing the fan from the processor) didn’t make any further improvements in SQ.

So if you can, get rid of the processor fan.
:-)
Even though the processor coolerfan was powered by a second external PSU, the original fan and the processor ‘didn’t like each other’ in my setup.

ESI juli@ or LynxL22 dig i/o -> Lavry Black DA10 -> Mogami Gold -> Klein & Hummel O300

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • if you can, get rid of the processor fan. :-) RE: Current measurements on powersupply P4 pin - hfavandepas 15:48:02 04/06/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.