Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Questions

cheers cics

OK, let me see if I have got the scenario straight (murphys law and all that)....I just finished building the cMP two days ago, after buying all the parts for a complete new build...and now find out that there is a hardware upgrade that if I hadn't been so keen and impatient to build it in the first place I would have been able to incorporate into the build??? Yep, sounds like my kind luck!!

And to boot, you linked to yet another thread I have to read and try and understand...arrggghhhh!! I was blissfully unaware that one existed.

Maybe a mobo fault eh?, it is brand new out of the box, praps if I cross my fingers it will be faulty and can replace it..with the new one in the upgrade heh heh.

Will do the registry changes soonish, and then give the minilogin a go after that. Do we just clip off all the loose wires? or do they need to be cleaned up some other way.

Will get the memory stick and transfer from another computer, tho I have successfully copied a few cds to date, I find the cmp crashes regulary when I'm burning cds, I hope it's only during that process. I'll leave it on all day today (doing nothing) and see if it also crashes then. (dunno if crash is the right word, everything freezes up with what looks like attempted script, but comes out looking what a sci fi movie may have as an alien script. I have to turn it off and restart to get it going again)

OK, now to the important bit, feedback on how it sounds.

As I mentioned previously, I am a 'the important stuff in stereo happens at the speaker end' kind of guy. (you all will laugh at me here, and fair enough I spose) but I only ever used the cheapest dvd player ($119 IIRC!!) from woolworths in my system, initially just to get me going, but always kept it due to there being no great improvements from auditioning cdp's up to around $3000 in my system. I have also once checked out getting into vinyl and so had a cheapish vinyl rig in to audition, around $5 000 all up. Again no real improvement, just 'different' if you get my drift. The improvements (read difference) was not great enough to justify the asking price for entry, so simply stuck with my Digitrex 2000 ha ha.I mean I'm happy to pay for a quality upgrade, but for a couple thousand bucks it has to be OBVIOUS man, and a definite improvement, not just 'different'.

That was why it was risky and a gamble for me to give this a go, no way to audition first.

Well blow me down and colour me pink, I am very glad indeed that I took the gamble. Admittedly I have only heard a few tracks this morning, but already it's completely obvious about quite a few things. It is much easier to listen to for a start, less fatiguing and more relaxed. the imaging is a lot more precise, and the thing that I love about my systems presentation (ambience and 'surround sound') has improved dramatically from an already exceedingly high base! Excellent stuff.

But the thing that has completely blown me away? There is one particular track I have been playing a lot of this last week (above the clouds by Mike Oldfield) and towards the end of the track comes in this lowish guitar riff superimposed on the bass guitar, the track dies away to just the drums, then everything comes back for the climax. Strangely enough, the day I was building the cMP I went over to a guys house and listened to his system, he was running the top of the line Moon cdp into a pass labs pre and amp combo into a pair of duntechs, and the same description of the track applied.

I listened to it this morning off the cMP.....and the lowish guitar riff does NOT disappear when the drums come in, it is still there gently on top of the drums and as clear as a bell!!! I was shaking my head in astonishment.

And the funny thing? Yep, I'm still using the temporary analog out from the soundcard!

thanks cics, you have yet another fan!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.