Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Granite PS for USB + LCD + SSD - dtrange behaviour...

*** sorry, can't edit typo in subject - of course it's "strange", not "dtrange"... *sigh* ***

Dear cics and fellow inmates,

ok, my setup may be rather "purist" and minimalistic, but still:

I initially used 1 Granite PS to power USB for mouse and power for LCD inside Zalman HD160XT case (don't use touch, would need additional Zalman software install - no way! ;-) ) as well as SATA II SSD - worked just fine. (Hardware and optimizations all as required/recommended - Giga mobo, Kingston ValueRam, E7200 etc.)

But hmm, I have been not too comfortable with 'dirty' power always on the USB line (thus probably also 'spilling' onto the board maybe...) and mostly with a LCD screen inside the case that HAS to cause at least SOME radiation, interference and so on - so with Granite PSs having such a neat On/Off switch, why not use two Granites, one for the SSD (which of course has to stay always on during playback, for OS and .wav file loading reasons) and another for USB and LCD which I can turn off for longer listening sessions (e.g. listening to a whole CD or so).

That's what I did, and it BASICALLY works of course - but there's some strange behaviour now:

Now issues with the SSD and with the LCD, they work as expected, but now with a dedicated Granite PS for only LCD screen (remember, no touch here) and USB mouse, the mouse has irregular "dropouts" which increase over time! To be more precise: Startup is fine, first few minutes usually work fine - can be easily judged by the red light the mouse displays (am using "regular" Microsoft optical USB mouse - no 2.4 GHz so close to where brilliant sound is crafted! ;-) ). Then after a few minutes the light starts to go out occasionally for a second or two but comes back, and this behaviour increases over time. When I leave the system untouched for some time, I can watch the light on for say 12 seconds, then go out for 3, then come back for 4, go out for 10, stay on for 2 minutes and so on - totally random, no pattern for me to identify... It goes out completely after 10? 12? 15? minutes (also no pattern here) and comes back only when I unplug and re-plug it, then same behaviour as above. This btw is a mouse-only issue - an USB memory stick when used in the same USB port stays on all the time without problems (judging by the light it has, it very rarely flickers but never turns off completely or even for a few secs). And I DID in fact also try the Logitech Nano wireless mouse, just to be safe - the glitches and dropouts are substantially less often and present (although they do exist), until after 10 to 15 minutes of being idle it's going off too and there's no way to bring it back. So similar behaviour, seems to be "mouse-related" only.

This is very strange, isn't it? And I can't make any sense of it... Tried it with three different Granites and different mice, no change. And what puzzles me most is that it works when I just use one Granite PS and have the SSD connected, as soon as I disconnect it from this Granite and to another Granite, the behaviour occurs...

Anyone has a hint or already kind of an explanation...? Would be greatly appreciated, because I really like that concept ;-)

Many thanks,
Robert

Edits: 03/08/09 03/08/09 03/08/09 03/08/09 03/08/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.