Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: DRC

Hi Golo,

Point for point answers :

1. (cMP & cPlay = ) cMP2 can run with an USB DAC via MoBo and asio4all, but asio4all and USB is limited in several regards. For multi channel editing FireWire is the better option.

b. the entire idea of cPlay is to upsample !
it´s interpolation technique is an integral part of it´s significant performance.
when input and output samplerate is the same, cPlay leaves the signal untouched.

c. when run with a (say) 6 channels ASIO soundcard, cPlay offers output to those 6 channels.
You obviously cannot squeeze more channels through your system than the amount of channels the hardware is designed for.
In the VST section of cPlay´s manual this is described and exemplified with the "allocator" crossover software.

d. the question about 24bit versus 32bit is only theoretical computer language, and has no practical sound relevance. even on a 64bit computer and a 32bit capable converter chip…..just scrub it !

2. ASIO is a protocol (a digital handshake or agreement) that is best understood as the player (cPlay) is becoming an integral software within the ASIO device.
VST is always single-client, whereby the VST software then becomes an integral software extention to the player.

a. no !
-floating means that for example a 24bit signal is treated as a 32 bit signal and mathematical "adapted" to 32bit precision.

b. read the VST section of the manual.
the number of channels is determined by the soundcard.
when I first started with this I used a 6 channel Lynx PCI soundcard and cPlay and its VST software recognizes this immediately.
Nowadays I use an external Lynx 8 channel DAC via Firewire and cPlay recognizes the external converter in the same manner : as an ASIO device.

You cannot use cPlay as a mixing tool or in connection with Adobe Audition.

In short you need a professional D/A A/D Converter to operate multiple channels. Go and talk to a Proaudio Store about your requirements. cMP2 is not the right platform for audio editing.

Hope this helps.

Hysolid // Mytek Brooklyn // Spectron Musician III // Analysis Audio Omega

Edits: 05/12/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: DRC - play-mate 02:09:49 05/12/11 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.