Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: earthing arrangements and position of ‘Live’ and ‘Neutral’

Mark,

First, I need to be honest and say that it's been many years since I've listened to gear with the AC sexed the wrong way... I check this as a matter of course when I'm building gear... and honestly, I'm not sure if there's a similar effect with SMPS's. The measurements I've done with them so far have been inconclusive, possibly a difference at the limits of my meter, but not definitive. I THINK they should have similar difference, but since the transformer is after the initial rectification, I'm not sure... and if you wanted to change it, you'd have to swap the inputs on the transformer, which could get challenging.

So sorry, can't answer the question on whether it makes an audible difference in our digital world.

But I'd guess it does... noise on the ground (and this is what we're minimizing with the correct hot/ground orientation) will impact connected analog gear... and I suspect will show up on the digital side as increased jitter.

And as for the grounding scheme, I wasn't convinced that the 'ground at the preamp' recommendation for all-analog setups was right and I'm not sure what is right for our analog/digital systems.

Gack!

I guess I need to go do some research now. So thanks for the link to the reference book... that'll be a good place to start.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Here's a good post by Charles Hansen of Ayre Acoustics where he relates tracking down an issue related to grounding... and not being able to measure what caused the difference. I personally believe grounding is still very much a black art, not because we don't understand the mechanism, but because the complexity of interactions are so high we can't effectively analyze it. So my take on it is to start by following the best practices and then experiment a bit to see if it can be made better... like connecting the case to wall-ground.

Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.