Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Buffa-Juli@... and a question for Theob!

Theo,

Thanks for the welcome and the well-wishes... I'm not quite over the flu and the back, but both are getting better & going in the right direction.

Also thanks for the info on how you got to adding the series resistors in the I2S signal lines. That all makes sense and provides a data point for whether I should do the same for this Buffalo32 implementation. I have to say I'm leaning towards not adding additional resistance.

Why? First, the Buff32 already has 22 ohm resistors in series with the data lines.

Second, the Buff32-on-top-of-Juli@ implementation means that the connections are actually shorter than the equivalent connections for the stock Juli@. For the connection from the Juli@ digital section board to the Buff32 board, it is shorter than the conductor length of the Juli@'s inter-board connectors. And the path length of the traces on the Buff32 board from where the lines enter the board to where they hit the DAC is shorter than the same lines on the Juli@ analog section.

Then third, I did not hear the type of sonic degradation with this implementation that I heard with the AK4398 and AK4399 DACs when I used them with no resistors on the I2S lines (muffled and veiled sounding).

Of course, the only way to really know for sure is to try them, which I might still do.

Again, thanks!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. It is sounding better as it runs in... perhaps a hair more detail now than the AK4399 setup I'm using. Its also very listenable, if ultimately not as convincing and musical as the AK4399 setup. But, it's only been breaking in for 8 hours or so... more to come!
Everything matters!

Edits: 01/31/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.