Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Just WHAT Are We Shielding Against...

Rick/ Kristian

Be mindful that Mu-Metal is effective for magnetic radiation, not RFI and the like.

To treat against RFI in my Denon CD player (1987 vintage DCD1700 - still running well) I got some conductive foam and built a little box around the analogue section - kind of a Faraday cage but probably not as effective. The stuff actually passes current, and so the sections of the "box" are wired together with thin solid-core copper, and a drain wire is in turn connected to the chassis.

Yes, it gets some of the digital soup out of the analogue circuits, and was a worthwhile exercise. Those were the days of no outboard D/A - now it serves as a decent transport connected to the DAC1.

BUT... cMP makes the Denon mostly superfluous.

Rick:
Monster Lenco L75 / 85 lbs of Baltic birch & MDF (a la JN's recipe) / sitting atop a granite/acrylic isolation platform. Still need to get the veneer finish on and do a bunch of tweaking. I refrain from taking it over to friend's for listening sessions...

If you're curious, here's a sample of a never-reissued-on-CD record I'm fond of (CBS MS 6575 - "Reverie" from Eugene Ormandy and the PO - very nice and pastoral). 108 mb zip archive of Before & After restoration -> http://www.sendspace.com/file/fw19hw

For those with an eye for the finer details:
Monster Lenco L75 > Benz Micro Silver (HO/MC) > (crazy modified) Rega RB300 > Cardas stranded copper phono leads > Musical Concepts MC3-T pre-amp > Petra (RCA-RCA) 75-ohm video cable > Benchmark ADC1 > Petra (BNC-BNC) 75-ohm video cable > ESI Juli@ PCI audio card (24-bit/44.1 SR) > PC DAW (including much jiggery pokery to make the noise go away) > CD master file > excerpts uploaded > TO YOU.

...oops - better not hi-jack the thread...
Cheers,
Grant

That's not a Toy... IT'S A TOOL !!

Edits: 12/05/08

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.