Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

indeed very nice and very informative post too. thank you for that.

Hi Audio Bling,

Thank you for posting. Very nice indeed. It’s always nice too read about other inmates thoughts, considerations, actions and projects.
I find it very helpful for inspiration and as food for thought.
Thank you for taking the time and effort too write this post.

I’m curious why did you choose too let yourself build this DIY linear PSU design over buying two commercially available linear PSU’s?
I’m still hesitating if I also should embark on such DIY linear PSU journey myself.

Especially since it is not very clear too me what exact performance is needed from a PSU too get best possible sound from a cMP setup.
May be only some optimizations in certain area’s are needed too meet the demands for best possible sound quality from a cMP setup.
(I very much hesitate too apply: ‘what is good for analog audio is also good for digital audio’)

When I study DIY linear PSU designs, they almost all have in common that these designs are very straight forward.
(rectifier bridge, regulator, some sort of smoothing and noise filtering)
Contrary too the designs of commercial available linear PSU’s which have very complex designs.
This makes me think that these simple straight forward DIY designs heavily rely on near ideal behavior of the applied parts (“right” components).
So inevitably only very expensive parts can be used.

I can understand that the large 10mH Hammond choke is intended to be a massive wall for high frequency noise.
(although I’m not sure until what high frequencies that massive choke is still effective.)
Where there any other considerations why you especially choose this DIY linear PSU design?

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.