Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player

cMP is comparable to adding a good dac to your system. I mean the computer build and Windows optimizations, and the actual cMP software. Recently I sold my only dac on the first day of the ad (!) and was dacless for a few weeks, and also had to do a system rebuild on my main music PC. I listened to it without any optimizations – not nice. After getting it back with cMP and listening with only the analog output of my m-audio card the difference was impressive. When I got my new (second-hand) dac, there was of course another improvement. Hard to say which is greater, but you get my drift.

My wishlist for UI improvements:
1. Smaller font for the titles and buttons.
2. Make it possible to skip the XP mode and go straight to reboot with cMP proper from the desktop, when the user feels comfortable doing so.
3. Make it possible to tick a box that says “don’t show this warning next time” to streamline the changing of settings and rebooting in cMP after the user is comfortable with the program.
4. Put a warning up the first time the Explore button is used – many problems come from mistakes made while “Exploring” in file explorer from cMP. Also, I wouldn’t use cMP without PowerDesk, or the like, replacing file explorer; it makes it so much safer and easier.
5. Make a “Desktop” button in the cMP UI, instead of having to tick Diagnosis Yes and going through the rebooting steps.
6. It would be very helpful to have a media player selection facility on the dashboard, to save copying and pasting every time in the .pth file.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.