Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: cMP - the open source high-end Memory Player

Hi Everyone!

I'll add some of my thoughts regarding CMP2 (CMP+cPlay). I've been testing/listening a lot lately on both of my machines. One is a top notch Phenom II X4@3.7Ghz, 8GB DDR3 2000MHz RAM, top Asus motherboard, Intel 80GB G2 SSD for system (win 7 64bit) and eco drives from Samsung for data. PSU is Antec CP-850 (best PSU I've seen so far, Seasonic M12II-430 in my second system looks like a toy compared to that Antec). It's cooled by THermalright Ultra 120 Copper Edition, everything in Antec P183 case + some Fander fans. Anyway, I've been testing different players, settings etc on this machine. Few weeks ago Foobar 0.8.3 @Kernel Streaming and SRC at 96kHz was the best I could hear. Lilith Player was to "digital" and edgy, new Foobar also sounded unreal to me, especially vocals. Then I tried new engine in XXHighEnd which uses Kernel Streaming and with low Q1 setting, unattended - that was it! I thought it could'nt get any better until I ran cPlay. Then the idea of creating dedicated audio server on my old machine came up (X2@1.9Ghz, mATX biostar, passively cooled in Silverstone TJ08 case). I created a minimal, preoptimized version of XP sp3 with nLite (only 150 MB image), used cics recommendations and far beyond that when it comes to disabling unnecessary components. You want to know how it sounds? Huh, it sounds so good that my girlfriend (who is rather "deaf") is fine with second PC in 12m2 room. Nothing comes even close to CMP2, it's so detailed and airy with no signs of fatigue at the same time.
Gordon from Wavelength wouldn't believe me. He said I should go with new JRiver Media Center @WASAPi and memory playback checked. I have to admit it sounds fine, but lacks of detail, dynamics and bass control. CMP > all

Or is it anything else I should try?

PS
Can't wait for new SPDIF converter from Wavelength. The WaveLink is going to be 24/192 asynchonous unit, battery powered (feeding from usb's 5V when it's idle), with bnc and coaxial adapter. Gordon says is going to have about 100 times smaller jitter than my M-Audio Transit (TAS1020B in adaptive mode)

->cics
I'd suggest (next to nLite) Win32PrioritySeparation set to 38 value (it's in regedit, you can easily google it).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORK!
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.