Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: What MoBo-Soundcard-Combo...?

You folks are lightning fast!

Ok, I must admit that the gear choice is a little exotic.
Besides the gear mentiones my intention was to find out about mini-ITX, thinking that smaller and more industrial-like might be an improvement. But in the passed few hours I've found out that PCIe is a nogo for audio anyway, and since virtually all mini-ITXes nowadays provide PCIe only that plan is skipped.

I don't have an aversion against Juli@, but reading about it seems to reveal repeatedly that it must be very good, but not best. But if it should be the best affordable way to go I'll take it.

Since it'll be PCI anyway the Onkyo Soundcard is back in the race. The ST-90PCI is said to be extraordinay good soundwise. It is only moderately more expensive than the July@. And I would like to avoid tweaking the equipment since I'm lacking knowlege for that so far. But I'm not completely sure how much the soundcard really contributes to final sound quality, assumed I will NOT use an external DAC.

Mentally I went for AMD since their latest 45nm Desktop CPUs (the "e"-Versions) provide 45W TDP which is noticably less than the 65W TDP of the Core2Duos. That should make sense - no!?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What MoBo-Soundcard-Combo...? - allnskloar 10:10:09 08/26/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.