Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Latency Performance Issues - Intel i3 (35W) Build

Sorry, had to post again, because I forgot to include the Subject and couldn't edit or delete.

Hello, I'm cross-posting from the cPlay forum, since I wasn't sure if that was the right location. I wonder if anyone can help and offer feedback about the poor latency performance I'm seeing with my recent build?

This machine uses the 35W i3 2100t CPU. The motherboard is the GA-H61M-S2H (H61 R). This was the only board I could find with a PCI slot, 1155 socket, Ultra Durable 2 and it's one of the least populated micro-ATX boards I've seen. Also, the machine uses Win 7 32-bit, SSD for the OS, external powered SATA drive for the music library and the SOTA PCI USB card.

After optimizing all of the voltages and other settings in the BIOS, I'm impressed by the voltage readings (DRAM running at 1.18 and CPU measuring 6.2 watts). However, the DPC Latency test readings suck with everything at idle it hovers between 5-7 and with music files playing in Foobar or cPlay it goes down as low as 5, but often spikes up to 40. My other machine, which used a full ATX board from Supermicro and a dual-core CPU was pretty consistent, reading about 7 with music playing.

Can anyone offer a suggestion about what might be the problem? Maybe I'll just have to follow Greg's build step by step, but I was hoping to at least get the same performance from the 35 watt i3, for a scaled down linear PS.

Here's a list of ideas I've had about what could be standing in the way of the latency performance:

* The MB uses a PCI to PCIe bridge.
* The i3 2100T has some quirks that inhibit low-latency performance. The clock ratio can only be reduced to 16, which means the CPU freq can't go below 1.6ghz.
* The S2H MB doesn't have good latency performance. This board does not have a graphics chip, it uses the CPU graphics engine.
* I could not disable HW Acceleration in the OS. I received an error about the registry, but I'm not sure HW Acceleration is even running.

Your help is appreciated.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.