Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Juli@ PSU highlights

I've got my linear supply for powering the Juli@ separately completed and tested out today (see attached picture) and was looking at an alternative way to feed the voltages into the Juli@, by lifting the input pins on each of the regulators and feeding the appropriate voltage to each. My goal was to power the Juli@ separately without having to cut the voltage finger connections... with the revised caps, it doesn't fit into the computer on my header board anymore, so I can't just cut the connections on the header board.

But what I found made me think that won't work... and it's also something to know for those who want to power the Juli@ separately when using only it's digital card. Poking around, I confirmed that the +-12v only shows up at the inputs to the appropriate regulator chips (U11, U13, U10) and the 3.3v is only provided by the output of U1, BUT I found the 5v coming from the motorboard going to several chips other than the U1 regulator... specifically U18 (the DAC) on the analog board and U2 and U8 on the digital board.

So there is likely another SQ improvement available (for both those using the Juli@ just as a digital board and those using the whole card) by taking Alfred's mod to another level by cutting the 5v PCI connector feeders and adding another +5v regulator feeding into the DVCC1 point.

And I'm back to cutting the 10 connections on the Juli@ so I can feed it from this separate PS. :(

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I have very high hopes for this PS. It's a tweak-ish supply... no magnetic hardware, MSR860 diodes, Jensen 4-pole caps, Dexa regulators for the +-12v, 5v, & 3.3v, and minimal wiring.

We'll see if I get time to try it on the Juli@ tomorrow.

Edits: 04/11/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Juli@ PSU highlights - GStew 20:10:23 04/11/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.