Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: : RE: *Power Consumption* Core i3-530 32nm + GA-H55M-UD2H

GStew,

My PS Setup

I used a PICO ATX PS to turn on a 12V relay which in turn power up the regulators to the MB. Of course, 5V should be provided to Pin 8 (PWR_OK) and Pin 9 (5V SB) on the MB before powering up.

The PICO PS is supplied by a 12V regulator, which is always on when AC is applied, whereas the 12 V relay shares the same regulator.

Pin 16 (PWR_ON)(on ATX 2.x 24Pin) of the MB should be connected to the same pin of the PICO PS. When the power-on button is pressed, Pin 16 (PWR_ON) is pulled down by the MB and the PICO starts up and turns on a 4-points relay. The relay then connects the regulated supplies, i.e. 3.3V, 5V and 12V, to the MB. The 5V PS to Pin 8 (PWR_OK) and Pin 9 (5V SB) is provided by the PICO PS, as they do not affect SQ.

I don't use a PCI sound card and there is no need for a clear -12V, therefore, the -12V is also provide by the PICO PS. You may of course provide regulated PS to the 5V SB and -12V, but one more one relay will be needed.

Alternative Method

If you do not plan to use a PICO PS, the following method has been tested and found working. The same theory applies, i.e. the Pin 16 (PWR_ON) (on ATX 2.x 24Pin PS) should be pulled down to 0V in order to start up a MB.

- 5V supply should be provided to Pin 8 (PWR_OK) and Pin 9 (5V SB) on the MB. The MB is ready.

- either use a multi-points power switch or relay (controlled by 12V or 5V from your PS). Connect the MB 12V, 5V &3.3V PINs to NO of the relay also connect the respective regulated PS to the NC. (except Pin 8 (PWR_OK) and Pin 9 (5V SB) of the MB which should be connected to the PS direct and they should be turned on automatically when AC is applied to the power transformer).

- one set of connecting points of the multi-pointf power switch or relay should be used to connect Pin 16 (PWR_ON) on the MB to the COM (any black wire or 0V). They should stay disconnected as long as the power switch is not turned on.

- When the power switch or relay is turned on, Pin 16 (PWR_ON)is pulled down to 0V, simultaneously, all necessry voltages from the regulators are supplied to the MB. This will turn on the MB. The swtich remains on (connected).

Using Batteries

If you are using linear regulators for your PS, I highly recommend adding batteries to power them as the SQ improvement is significant. For lead acid batteries, simply added two small regulators for charging, one for 12 V (set to 13.6V and add a small resistor to control the charging current, say 0.22 - 0.33 ohm), and one for the 6V battery sets. You will need two sets of 6V batteries, a smaller set for 3.3V, and a larger set for 5V. They can be charged by the same regulator (6.8V, 3-4A). A relay should be used to connected the regulated PS to the MB. The battery should be connected to the moving pin of the the relay, the 12V, 5V and 3.3V wires from the MB should connected to the On_pin (which will be off unless is power is supplied to the relay. The Off-pin should be connected to the chargers so that they will charge the batteries when the computer is off. The relay configure varies slightly for the charging circuit -the batteries connect to the contact switch, NO is connected to the regulators which are connected to the MB, and NC to the chargers.

I have been using battery power supplies whenever practicable, in preamp, poweramp and DAC. I have tried different types of PS circuits, be it regulated or choke filters but nothing come close to batteries in performance. It is worth trying and I recommend to start with battery supplied DAC because the current demand is low.

Hope this help.

Edits: 05/27/10 05/27/10 05/27/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.