Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Definitely worth doing. But you also have too remove noisy (power) sources.

Hi Smicyta,

As also reported by other inmates removing the LT1117 regulator and directly powering the digital part of the Juli@ with 3,3 Volt DC low noise power, it is one of the tweaks/modifications with biggest positive effect on sound quality.
Also in my cMP setup this is the one with biggest impact SQ, compared too al previous power supply changes/modification/tweaks I did.
- ‘smoothing’ caps on the P4 coming from an ATX PSU
- a linear on the P4
- a Pico 160 XT on the P24
- replacing the HDD for an SSD
- various filters on P4 & P24
- various filters on in- & outputs of the linear PSU’s and in- & outputs of the Pico 160 XT.

Yesterday I did my first electronic construction and soldering project ever! I constructed a simple voltage regulator based on the LT 1086 CT3,3 3,3V POS VR 1,5A T regulator. It turned out too be not being so hard at all.
Since I like too experiment with filters before and after I again used P4 connectors, so that I can easily swap filters in and out before and after the regulator. Don’t be fooled by the yellow colour of the wires. There is only 5 Volt DC on the input too the regulator. The regulator needs 5 Volt DC input and gives 3,3 Volt output.

Van on filtering, de-coupling, demping, ect

I’m not completely surprised that there only was 'some' sound quality improvement in your setup. The noisy elemets in the power supply are still present. You also need too remove the noise sources that produce noise so that noise levels drop as much as possible.

Right now I’min the process of evaluating various home made filters before and after my home made LT 1086 CT3,3 regulator and also what PSU I need for powering the input.

Van on filtering, de-coupling, demping, ect

With adequate filtering is it perfectly possible too power the regulator with 5 Volt DC coming from the Pico 160 XT.
Best results so far I get with:
* regulator input: filtering the 5 Volt Pico output with the filter shown in the left lower corner
(a 230 AC filter with 40 mH ferrite cokes inside + caps added)
* regulator output: the simple TDK common mode filter for data transmission lines at the right corner.

So do try too clean the power of the Juli@ digital part by providing low noise power but also by removing noisy power sources. Mixing low noise power sources with high noise power sources is obviously giving less noise reduction, thus less sound quality improvement.

Mark

Edits: 09/08/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.