Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: thanks for adding too the mix. Looking forward too read your experience with the SSD.

I remember cics posts showing current spikes when using different power supplies for hdd's.

Fair point except that with memory loading (AWE) enabled, the R/W heads are moving for only a small period during each track. The SQ lift is apparent even while that activity is taking place (assuming that the disk activity lights give a fair indication of when it's happening).

Running an OS off a ssd takes this to another level

There is little if any disk activity during play other than the reading of data at the start of each track (tracks #1 and #2 at the start of #1, #3 at the start of #2 and so on except for long tracks that need to be split).

I am baffled as to possible cause though the effect is palpable. It may be that it's that different motherboard devices are involved in reading from USB or SATA. That would at least explain why the effect is noticed even though the HDD is still present. That an SSD sounds better than an HDD may not be the same issue.

I need to look something or other up somewhere or someplace but I don't know where to start right now.

Whatever, what I have here is a cumbersome but effective "tweak" and v-e-r-y cheap.

Can we twist arms to get someone else to try it? It'd take about 10 minutes.

++++

I may . . . try the Ryelands work around 1st and perhaps then the NAS approach

As far as the cMP^2 box is concerned, there is little if any difference between the two. The OS sees a shared folder on the LAN but can't tell if it's on NAS or (as mine) a drive attached to another XP box.

In any case, if you use wav-format data, you won't hit the flac bug, making my trick of copying the data before playing superfluous. H's way is then probably easier.

* I just tried for old times' sake pulling flac data over the network. I can't get it to work at all now. Aaaaaaargh! Well, I can live without it . . .

Edits: 02/01/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: thanks for adding too the mix. Looking forward too read your experience with the SSD. - Ryelands 06:47:55 02/01/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.