Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Zalman HD160XT and Thermaltake DH102 cases powering

LOL.

Makes a lot more sense now, we were talking about two different cases... I figured it was something like that or variations across different production runs.

On my dirty supplies, I have one raw DC supply that feeds about 18v into an LT3080 that is set to provide 12v for the monitor and that also feeds another LT3080 set to 5v for the USB header for the touchscreen and remote mouse receiver.

Then I have another raw DC supply that feeds about 10v into an LT3080 set to 5v for the HDD.

I did find that component quality was audible on these supplies in my setup... Jensen 4-pole and Black Gates were better than Elna Silmec-II which were better than Panasonic FM/FCs. This still surprises me!

Next thing to try here are additional filtering caps at the screen and HDD power inputs... I guess I'll try it at the USB header too, but don't expect there's as much potential there.

Greg in Mississppi

P.S. In my setup, it made a difference to reduce spurious vibration in the case. I:

1. Removed all un-needed circuit boards and parts (such as the drop-down door in the front)

2. Applied Dynamat Xtreme to damp the case's panels.

3. Used damping rings off of Herbie's Audio Lab's original tube dampers on the motherboard mounting studs.

4. Set the case on Herbie's Iso-Cups on a low stand with a damped glass shelf.

5. Added more damping on the case top with Herbie's Supersonic Stabilizers.

6. Mounted the HDD to a small square of bamboo which rests on Herbie's Tenderfeet with a poor-man's VPI brick (old transformer core covered with heavy heatshrink) adding more mass on top of it.

7. Decoupled the dirty supplies on Herbie's Tenderfeet.

Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Zalman HD160XT and Thermaltake DH102 cases powering - GStew 21:12:56 10/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.