Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Alternative H55M Motherboard - GA-H55M-D2H

I've just found this MB. It has two ram slots only, all Oscon Cap, 2 OZ copper but no 1394 or ESATA ports. It is somewhere in between the H55M UD2H and S2H. BIOS is F1, it should be a new board. Have anyone try it. Please kindly report.

On the other hand, I've initially listened to the Asrock H55M-LE combo, powered by batteries + regulated supply, Kingston DDR3 1333 Value ram, same as my current setup with the Gigabyte GA H55M-UD2H.

Honestly, I cannot make a direct conparison between the two boards, because my UD2H borad has been heavily modified soon after purchase. Therefore, I can only rely on my listening impression when the board was unmodified.

The Good

The P4 can be powered separetely.

The Asrock H55M-LE board was very pleasant sounding. Very good bass extension, noticibaly more bass than the UD2H, smooth vocal, highs are well extended too. Overall, the sound is very attractive.

The bad

Drum kicks are not up to speed - I have not optimized the DRAM lantency yet and perhaps this is the cause. Will try tomorrow.

Focus, depth and stereo imaging are not as good as the UD2H. It appears to have a higher noise floor, background is not dark enough.

It produced more heat than the UD2H, probably due to higher CPU and GPU Core Voltage, no setting below 0.84375V is allowed

It shut off once for unknown reason. Have to reload BIOS. BIOS is not a strength for Asrock.

NOTE

My impression with this board and the untouched UD2H is that the two board have different tonal balance, the Asrock is mid-low inclined while the Gigabyte has more clarity in all fronts. Although bass extension is as good as the Asrock, the Asrock is a little bit more powerful in bass region whereas the Gigabyte has better control and speed.

I can't say which one is better but I preferred the modified UD2H for now.

Will burn in the Asrock board and relisten.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.