Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: : RE: *Power Consumption* Core i3-530 32nm + GA-H55M-UD2H

Jack, thanks for all the great details above.

I'd had great results with a serious Pico-PSU-based Hybrid supply which provided SIGNIFICANT sonic gains for my cMP^2 setup, so I've been very excited about installing a fully linear supply... and frustrated that it hadn't worked consistently!

After reviewing what you shared and going back over the original thread where Gene discussed his linear supply, I've gotten mine working consistently now. What I missed was the need to put 5v on the PWR_OK AFTER pressing the power button... I'd been doing it the other way around, which worked some of the time on the ES2L board, but only occasionally on the S2L board.

Now that I'm using this sequence, I'm getting a very consistent startup:

1st - Apply power to the 12v P4 and the ATX 3.3v, 5v, 12v, and -12v rails AND to the 5vSB (no time delays needed)

2nd - Press power button

3rd - Apply 5v to the ATX PWR_OK

This does not work with the GA-G31M-UD2H board, however. It seems to have a startup sequence where it powers-down the PSU and starts it up again along the way... not sure why. I hope the new boards that you, cics, and others are trying don't do this.

But as the UD2H does not sonically equal the S2L boards in my setup, I have not spent much time debugging it.

I actually have a reverse-battery setup... The 12v P4 and the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v ATX voltages each have their own transformer. But inspired by Gene's setup. I'm using two 9v batteries in series with a 7912 chip to get my -12v and a single 9v battery with a 7805 for my 5vSB & PWR_OK. I've found that once the startup process has intiated, I can turn these off with no problem, hence no need to have a more constant source. Now that I have a consistent startup, I will try it tonight with a single 9v battery and no regulator on the -12v line... this worked for Gene and I suspect it will work ok for me now. I also don't need a constant -12v as my sound card setup has separate power rails.

Of course, this is all on a board on my bench. I've got a few days off around the US Memorial Day holiday, so I'll be able to install it into my cMP setup and listen... this will be the start of PSU Follies Strike Back!'.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I will give batteries a try. I have significant battery-charging infrastructure around as I am a model airplane flier too and most of my powered planes use electric power. I also have some serious Lithium-Polymer packs in various sizes that will be interesting alternatives to the Pb-acid setups... I've heard that different battery types produce different sonic results and have not heard anyone report on these.

I have been cautious about them partly because of the additional infrastructure and care required AND due to some of the comments by people I respect who have tried them and not liked them... but enough have said they are the best to at least give them a try.

Also, I am VERY curious about your battery-powered direct-heated tube amps. Got pix?
Everything matters!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.