Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Juli@ Follies...

Significant Juli@ abuse occurred last night.

I implemented upgrades to all of the power supply rails included local reservoirs & upscaled parts before and after each regulator, using Black Gates on the analog card and Sanyo OsCons on the digital board.

Note that I removed the balanced connectors to make it easier to add the resevoir caps. This is not a must, but did improve access to the connection points.

I also replaced the output coupling caps at the Juli@'s analog outputs.

With only a couple of hours of run-in, it sounds very good and very, very promising. The presentation is 'denser' with more texture and detail, but even with the added details, you can more clearly hear it all as a whole AND pick out individual instruments and singer. The spectral balance seems more even top-to-bottom even though I didn't sense an imbalance before. Treble details are more delicate and audible while strangly seeming less pronounced. Dynamics also increased, downward into microdynamics as much as large-scale dynamics.

I first did the analog card, then the digital card. One interesting observation was that I think I heard larger sonic difference with the digital card upgraded than just the analog card.

I do have an un-modified Juli@ and will do some back and forth, mix and match comparisons after the modified cards have had a chance to run-in a bit.

Next is to setup separate linear supplies for the 5v, & +-12v supplies (the Juli@ does not connect to the computer's 3.3v line) and power the Juli@ separate from the computer supplies.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. One thing that I think would make a worthwhile difference on the Juli@ analog outputs is to leave the side of the card that you aren't using not-powered. As best as I can tell without digging, both the balanced and un-balanced sides are powered all the time. I'm hoping to find some resistors that can be removed or traces that can be cut to do this.

Edits: 03/29/09 03/29/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.