Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: SSD @ 2,6V

Hi Greg,
First the SSD: i fried it. by too often pulling it out an putting back in while mobo is running. Rick's warning came too late. So forget this "nice soundpop-no-ssd-trick". Indeed there's no ssd anymore...

1. Undervolting SSD
This is how i worked. I solderd wires to the 3,3v pins of a spare plug. SSD didn't work. So i connected the 5v line and just lowered voltage until it stops working: at 2,6v it could start. LifePo's can deliver nice clean 3,3v. it works. The lower the better sq.
Cut the 12v line. This will be regulated down to 5v, as you can see on the foto (backside ssd) (link to site at bottom of post). On front- and backside foto's i think i see 3,3v is not connected to rest of the board. I think the clock needs the 2,6v. Controller, cache and ram could do with 1,3 - 1,5v i think (but do not know).
Compared to Mihaylovs setup: a lot more ram-chips and a cache chip to feed and control. I will try 1-2GB ssd in future.

2. CCFL inverter
Why does it affect sq? This inverter takes 12v from the monitor, takes it up to 800v and then throws the garbage on the shared ground. Very dirty. Monitor-ground is connected to CMP-ground.
On the pictures you can see i just pulled the inverter-plug. Be sure before you do this, to set all colours to 100%. This minimizes regulation-noise.
One of the two ccfl's is connected to a "dedicated" inverter (€6,-). The other is not connected at all, one is enough. Brightness and contrast regulation not possible anymore (same for colours). It helped in my setup. There is no 'start-up'logic, just 12vto 800v. I don't know if you could replace it with a linear supply, i wouldn't (too dangerous for me).
Monitor-psu is now: 13,5v SLA -> inverter to 220v -> Dell smps 12v. I'm planning to go headless. If not i'll try the 13,5v sla directly to monitor. Hope this will work and not kill monitor. What would you think?
I didn't try the leds: more expensive and less result.

3. Battery-sourced inverters
At one time i ran into a cheap 2nd hand set of sla's and sinus-inverters. So i just gave it a try. It turned out well. Of course the inverters produce some ripple, but fridge-washingmachine-computers-etc-ripple is eliminated. BTW: i also tried cheap Aldi/Lidl blockwave-inverters. They produced better sq for the digital parts (mobo, cpu, ssd), due to lack of sinus-filter. Analogue parts (DAC) need of course sinus-inverter.
Note that i'm a battery-freak, and i like the thought of running CMP2 on solar-power...
If you aren't, wait another 1-2 years, and run the whole setup on LifePo's.

please send some feedback if you tried the ssd and/or ccfl mods.

Douwe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: SSD @ 2,6V - Douwe01nl 14:07:34 11/23/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.