Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Answers? Quetions! Questions? Answers!

(...with apologies to Focus)

Theo, thank you for the compliment... now it'll take me at least two hours to post anything, lest I slip back from the high standards...

RE: Benchmark "Claims" (or AU CONTRAIRE # 2):
(he-he... as if I need to be an apologist for Benchmark)

Theo sez: "...only problem I have with Benchmark's claims that it doesn't matter what you send it that the Benchie will clean it up to some absolute level of excellence. not true every incremental improvement in cPlay..."

Be careful to distinguish between TRANSMISSION jitter (from which Benchmark claims immunity) and SAMPLING jitter (a Different Devil completely). I HIGHLY recommend reading Bob Katz book Mastering Audio - the art and the science, especially chapter 19 on Jitter. Bob defines it thus:

Interface Jitter: the jitter present in the interconnections between equipment.

Sampling Jitter: the jitter in the clock which drives the converter.

A-HA... you can fill in the blanks for what I should write next - and all you knowledge seekers - go read Bob's book !

I would state the Benchmark case a bit differently:
The DAC1 does not improve the incoming signal, it merely allows you to hear (with great clarity and precision) what's coming down the pipe. Inasmuch as it re-samples the data for internal use (thereby rejecting TRANSMISSION jitter) - yes it changes the signal - but not to editorialize upon the original.

On the other hand, the processing in cPlay does indeed CHANGE the resultant sound - it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than playing the RBCD on a CD player. That you can perceive every incremental improvement in cPlay is testament to the DAC1 getting out of the way (editorial-wise), and reporting honestly on your bitstream.

Should you care to provide Juli@ a more precise timing reference, it can't help but to increase the accuracy with which it assembles the analogue & digital outputs.

Regarding Black Lion:
I should hear from Matt by Wednesday this week - he expected to do some S/PDIF experiments over the weekend.

OK... gotta go install v2.0b11-B9 and hear what the fuss is all about !
Cheers,
Grant

(ps: for a long story about how cable choice DOES matter between ADC1 & DAC1 look here -> http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/benchmark-dac1-now-available-usb-223006/index79.html#post3169085 )
That's not a Toy... IT'S A TOOL !!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.