Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: SSD vs HDD

Is it possible to provide cmp/cplay capability such that when you choose a file to run in cmp it loads the entire file onto a flash drive or ssd 1st so we can get the benefits of ssd w/o buying an expensive one with lots of memory? This is what I'm doing manually with my 4 gig fd but I can only load 4 or 5 files at a time on it. And while it is not only worthwhile for the sonic benefits you mention it provides me with a way to run cplay @ 192 w/o any glitches (running off of hd still gives me issues albeit at a lower rate with cplay version 20 than prior versions).

Just a thought. Others have mentioned this as well.

FWIW so that others who wish to may try this. I copy the music file and cue sheet from my hd and paste onto my fd. Then I rename the cue sheet title line (I append a 999 at the end of the title line) so that it will show up differently in a 'cmp scroll' of music. You have to designate your fd in cmp as a source for music and cue files. Then when you initialize cmp it will find and display the renamed title line for the cue sheet on fd. Then you simply click on it in cmp and cplay runs off the fd. I assume if you have a big enough fd or ssd you can put the os (Windows et al) on the fd for further improvements but I haven't gotten this far. This work around gives you better sonics and seemless loads into memory with no clicks during playback.

Edits: 03/07/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.