Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

cMP new hardware + Juli@w/0.979 drivers + cPlay 145 SNR - 1 step backwards, 2 steps forward

I had enough spare parts, so I built the Gigabyte computer in an old PC case so I could compare with the Biostar-based HTPC, and have been playing with both, also switching my M-Audio Audiophile 192 and Juli@ soundcards around between the systems. Both using single 1GB Corsair XMS, single Samsung Sata HDD, passive cooling, fanless Thermaltake PSU on Biostar, quiet Tagan PSU with Gigabyte, and same cable to Dac, using 192K resampling and playing within cMP. Impressions are coalescing now.

The Biostar/E2140 beats the Gigabyte/E7200 at cPlay 121 SNR - cleaner and airier, the Gigabyte has a bit of "edge" to the sound: 1 step backwards here. Memory on Biostar is 3-3-3-9, on Gig. 4-3-3-9 and can't adjust latency individually. Maybe the bus on the Gig is not as clean, or the bigger CPU? The Juli@ and AP192 are very similar, with Juli@ just edging ahead with greater clarity (48 samples vs. 64). AP192 is better built, with proper digital out connector on the backplate - Juli@ flimsy by comparison, what a pity. (My comments on Juli@ and drivers here.)

Biostar/cPlay 121 SNR vs. Gig/cPlay 145 SNR: This is surprisingly close when I use the AP192 - Gig system is smoother, deeper textured, a bit clearer, much of the "edge" that I attribute to the hardware is covered, but the Biostar is always very clean and clear, just not as smooth or detailed. The 145 SNR wins here, but hardware environment makes it close: a plus here, cancelling out the minus.

Now add the Juli@ to the 145 SNR resampling: something magical happens. Words like "thrilling", "magnificent" pop into your head, spine literally tingles, and "Holy #!*!" is coming out involuntarily. This is emotional stuff: 2nd step forward is big, because Juli@ better allows you to hear what is happening in cPlay.

Something else has emerged: The Biostar computer with Juli@ and v1.21 WDM drivers, using Winamp + kernel streaming* in cMP is wonderful - the slight muddiness KS used to have at times is nearly gone, it's very clean and appealing. Not dramatic like cPlay 145 SNR, but whole, balanced and simply feels good to listen to. This doesn't happen when I run KS in the Gigabyte/Juli@ setup - KS too sensitive to the least noise or jitter?

*(I'm using a stripped down Winamp 5.35Pro, set for realtime, no dithering or surroundsound, out_ks363 plugin, no volume control, with buffers set to minimum on each restart.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.