Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

May be ferrite beads should be part of the standard cMP recipe. But what is the easiest way too clamp the P24

Hi Theo,

Thankx you for reporting these results.

I hope other inmates will start too experiment too with ferrite beads too as I find the results in my setup truly amazing. And best of all: ferrite beads are relatively easy too apply. Especially applying them on the P4 power line is a no-brainer.

Clamping the P24 I find more complicated as I still haven’t made up my mind op on which ‘clamping strategy’ is most simple and/or most effective.

When applying ferrites on individual wire pairs on the P24 special attention is needed is too make sure the ferrite “sees” equal and opposite DC currents so that there will be zero net magnetic flux density inside the ferrite bead. This way avoiding the ferrite too be less effective or even without any effect (saturated) through DC effects.
I think the paper from:
Tim Williams, Elmac Services, ‘Using ferrites for interference suppression’
http://www.elmac.co.uk/pdfs/ferrite.pdf
and/or the paper from
manufacterer Steward on ‘The Use Of Ferrites In EMI Suppression’
http://www.steward.com/pdfs/emi/technical/Use%20of%20Ferrites%20in%20EMI.pdf
are both very clear on these pitfalls.

In what way or in what arrangement did you use the ferrite beads on the P24?
I would very much like too hear from other inmates on how they solved ‘clamping the P24’ problem.

Roughly I see three methods:

1. Brut force
Clamping 6 to 8 Ferrite beads (hole diameter 12 mm) in a row on the P24.
Downside: some individual wires deep inside the P24 bundle of wires, will never be in close contact with the ferrite. Although twisting the P24 bundle of wires helps some what to bring individual wire too the surface of the wire bundle.

2. clamping individual wires pairs or groups of wires on the P24.
Downside: how to prevent mismatching the wires that will result in a non-zero sum of magnetic flux density which will make the ferrite less effective or may be even saturated.

3. Using a flat bead ferrite for ribbon cables with use of a P24 extension or so.
See: http://www2.conrad.nl/goto.php?artikel=501962
All individual wires of a P24 (extension) cable can be flattened out side by side and than put through a a flat bead ferrite for ribbon cables.
This way all individual P24 wires will be in close contact with the ferrite. And also the brut force method could be applied by using 2 or more flat bead ferrites for ribbon cable in a row on too the P24.
Downside: May be: bulky. But clamping the P24 is a bulky mess anyhow. No matter what method is going too be used. A lot off ferrite is needed.

All ideas welcome.

Mark

(suffering from a bad case of ‘Ferritus Clampingditus’)

Edits: 06/11/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.