Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Well let's spread the news: MOUNT AN SSD IN YOUR cMP !!!

You guys (you and Rick) are making me crazy. I have some hardware and software coming that will make re-loading windows very easy. My 1st step is to get familiar with same in an effort to implement the Ryelands algorythm (i.e., loading the music file onto a flash drive in real time running cplay). I have been experimenting with offline upsampling and 'manual load' fd playback for the last few days and these items while not an ssd gives me some idea of what is possible beyond where I was. And now I see that the potential of cmp^2 playback is perhaps way beyond where I had been. I have been upsampling 6-7 of my favorite music files with sox learning how to trim, upsample, reduce gain, compare various sox parameters so feverishly the last few days (-v versus -s as an example) that my wife keeps asking what I'm doing. When I expain she says '...yea right!...' Anyway comparing cpu usage with task mgr shows that running off a fd with offload upsampling reduces cpu usage down to zero (or very small but zero as shown in task mgr) and only peaks to 15% or so when swapping data from fd -> memory. I assume running off an ssd probably reduces this even further. So after I try fiddling with my new sw/hw I may very well buy that kingston 8 g ssd. After all it is so cheap (which is what I will tell my wife) that I cannot pass up the opportunity.

You guys plus Dave are bad influences!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.