Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

The Digital-IN is for Recording...

Hi Rick
1): Recall I have yet to build a standalone cMP machine. The box that hosts my software-only implementation of cMP+cPlay is also my main-machine... doing double duty as general purpose computer and DAW. All questions of lowering power consumption, underclocking RAM &CPU, isolating dirty from clean power supplies, ditching analoge sound sections, etc., etc., etc., etc., must wait for the Happy Day I build a new box.

2): The Juli@ card replaced an M-Audio Delta 1010 (due to the 96Khz SR limit of the Delta). For the many tasks it performs, the analogue output from Juli@ is a must. I may decide to yank it in the cMP Rig.

3): I look forward to getting the EA430 PS... and tinkering with the voltage pot. Thanks in advance to Bernd for sharing this tweak with The Brotherhood - Great Discovery !

4): Oh yes... TWEAK ALERT: The Digital-IN can be used to supply Juli@ with an external clock source during playback. If the external clock is better/cleaner than Juli@'s internal oscillator, you'll get a "better" S/PDIF stream to feed your external D/A converter. What you hear depends on the resolution of your D/A & monitoring setup... but you should hear an improvement. I know I do.

My converters are from the good folks at Benchmark Media Systems... the much-balley-hooed DAC1 and the even-more-astonishing ADC1. The ADC1 provides a VERY clean clock (up to 192 KHz), and the DAC1 tells me so. It was true with the Delta 1010, and is true too with Juli@.

Select EXTERNAL in Juli@'s control panel, connect ADC1 to digital-IN, set the desired sample rate on the Benchmark (no audio input to ADC1) and the embedded clock in the (silent) datastream will clock the card's output with greater accuracy. Instant upgrade... without the messy soldering !

And damn fine recordings from your analogue sources too (Lenco L75, Studer B67, etc.).

So, I hope I've answered the question...

Cheers,
Grant

That's not a Toy... IT'S A TOOL !!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.