Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Thanks for the technique advice

I agree that the pure linear is better... and given the experience and SQ you had when you tried the PicoPSU, I understand you not wanting to try it again. Nottaprob!

You are very, very welcome. I'm trying to pay back all the support, both directly and indiretly (through your posts in the various forums) that you gave me when I was setting my cMP up at first.

LOL on the exploding batteries. Yah, IMHO, better sound comes from living-on-the-edge... I've been considering both a DAC output stage and a phono stage that each uses mercury rectifiers... and agree on the cautions with LiPo batteries and the benefits of running without fuses (although I have on good authority that good (read that EXPENSIVE!) circuit breakers can sound about as good as no-fuse.

Another set of living-on-the-edge experiences are high-biased and/or class A circuits... a different DAC output stage I'm looking at is based on a Nelson Pass design and runs the I/V FETS at 50v or more and so hot that they take amplifier-sized heatsinks. Gotta love it!

But I was never convinced on the Keith Monks arm. OTOH, I never played with one...

As for the batteries, I already have LiPos, so it's easy to experiment with them... and having used them in my model airplanes and helicopters for 6-7 years, I have the equipment to safely charge them and am very aware of their dangers and how to use them pretty safely (no fires yet, knock on wood!).

I agree that it's how you do it that makes or breaks a battery versus an AC setup. My power supplies have been similar to PD's (with a couple of diffs that I doubt he'd condone) and that's worked well for me... and that's why I've put a lot of weight on his opinions on this.

But a battery setup is intriguing to me. My biggest caution is that it's a high-maint setup, especially for a fully-linear computer... just witness JackWong's setup! My 2nd biggest caution is that I suspect that it will work best if the entire system is battery... and my super-low-efficiency Eminent Tech speakers require a LOT of power and are not good candidates for battery powered amplification. I have several other cautions, but these are the two key ones.

Finally, on your regulator comment, if you are referring to the ones in the link I sent, yah, they idle high and hot and will suck a lot of power just sitting there. That's the nature of shunt regs. But I suspect that (like class A amps) is part of why they work well.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Picture attached of how I do my PCI finger cuts. Note that the finger that is second from the bottom on that top lobe of the PCI connector is one of the 3.3v ones that is not connected to the Juli@ board at all. There are many other ones like that, not all are the 3.3v ones.
Everything matters!

Edits: 07/29/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks for the technique advice - GStew 20:24:07 07/29/10 (0)
    • Very clean! - rickmcinnis@dogwoodfabrics.com 08:32:05 07/30/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.