Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Crowded, yet beautiful in a disorderly way. But...

Agreed that moving them out is a good plan. But there's always that tradeoff between distance (less radiated field interference) and longer connecting cable (more cable losses & cable quality becomes more important).

Also moving them out can reduce the amount of transformer-caused vibration that is fed back into the electronics.

Trying to deal with all of this effectively, I'm slowly gathering ideas for a custom case. Current thoughts include:

1. Three tiers with a butcher-block platform at the base of each tier.

2. PS's mounted onto base of bottom tier. That tier will sit directly on the floor on either spikes or isolation feet and have no solid connection to the upper tiers.

3. Middle tier and top tier bases will be mounted onto a carbon-fiber-based support/surround structure, basically a tube shaped to fit around the butcher block bases. The motherboard mounts on the base of the middle tier with the DAC on the top tier (may hang below to shorten I2S connections).

4. The support/surround structure tube will fit over, but be spaced away from the bottom base and have the top two butcher block bases mounted to it. It will be multi-layer... current plan is copper shield on the inside, then damping material, with a carbon fiber exterior.

5. Each tier will have own shielding zone, with the copper layer on the inside of the support/surround separate for each tier. Then there'll be a copper layer on the top of the base beneath the tier and another on the bottom of the base above. The top-middle-bottom shield layers will be tied together for each zone.

6. A small mobile-type touchscreen will mount on the outside of the support/surround tube in the middle of the middle tier.

This is an 'over the summer' project for me & I'm still tossing around ideas for it.

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I should note that the GA-EG45M-UD2H motherboard is a bit deeper than the older GA-G31M-S2L, so I'll be shortening the base of the Juli@'s supply & possibly rotating it 90 degrees to make room for the new board.

Edits: 05/09/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Crowded, yet beautiful in a disorderly way. But... - GStew 13:40:36 05/09/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.