Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Jack, thanks for leading the way...

And showing us this! Computer Audio for the enthusiasts will never be the same again!

I was only expecting info on the motherboard bypasses... and now that's just a bonus for the real treat, motherboard PS mods!

Questions...

1st, what are the values (and in the case of the small blue cylindrical caps and the other non-Sikorel and non-Wima caps, the make) you used?

2nd, in many places you used a combo of Sikorel, blue cap, Wima (the red and green caps), in other places you used different bypass caps, and in some places you just used the bypass caps. Can you explain your philosphy of why which caps where?

3rd, which Black Gates would you use instead (if they were still available)?

4th, are there different types of Sikorels (like there are different types of Black Gates or Oscons)?

5th, got a good international source for the Sikorels?

6th, can you give us some direction on how to duplicate your sleuthing and identify the different PWM circuits? I'm moderately familar with doing this for linear audio circuits, but not at all around motherboards.

BTW, I am pretty sure now that I've resolved the issues with my fully-linear supply (which were not really resolved when I last posted about it). I'll post a tome about it on the "Linear Power Supplies for ATX & P4' sub-thread, but it basically boiled down to a problem with the way I was handling the control signals... Early-on I found out that you could turn off the 5VSB and the POWER_OK signal lines and the computer would still run. Great, so I set mine up to do that and eliminate another potential source of degradation.

But if those lines are not on, the GA-G31M-S2L motherboard will eventually shut down. It may take 2 hours, it may take 1/2 hour, it may run for 4 hours, but eventually it WILL shut down. With those lines on, it seems to run on ok... I've only had it running for up to 12 hours so far, but that's longer than any time with them shut off.

The -12v can be shut off without any issues, however.

Now I've got a lot of tweaking to do with the supplies including trying un-doing some of what I did to try and fix it, but that's another story!

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. Which Black Gates would you use instead of the Sikorels if you could still get them?
Everything matters!

Edits: 06/13/10 06/13/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.