Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Thank you for feedback. Are you sure you don't want too experiment with caps + ferrits? (last try)

Hi Theo,

I have no experience myself with I2S, but I can understand the attractiveness of the concept to separate the clock signal from the audio-bit stream. But that is from a conceptual point of view. From a practical, real world point of view I doubt if I’m able too execute it properly myself. Especially knowing how VERY DIFFICULT (!!) it even is for professionals too accurately send, transport, receive and process clock signals. I don’t think I can technically execute that properly myself in such a way that it will outperform a proper executed S/Pdif connection. But these are just my thoughts on this matter. I have no real world practical experience with it.
Also, even on the best studio DAC’s money can buy (Prism, Lavry, Weiss, etc) I don’t see an I2S input. If this where a better way of doing things, it would certainly be fitted by these and other companies.

So I concentrate on more simple things which I can execute properly myself given the limited set of tools I have (lack of knowledge, skills and proper equipment).

In frequency/impedance graphs provided by the ferrite manufacturers I see that ferrites have a bell shaped resistance curve that peaks somewhere between 100 – 300 mHz. The official S/Pif specs say that the frequency can be between 100kHz and 6Mhz. A CD player uses 3mHz.

But still I don’t put ferrites on un-shielded S/Pdif cables. Given the theory what an electrical digital signal is (square block pulses) I fear malformation of the block shapes (misshaped eye patterns)
Of course ferrites can reduce HF noise traveling on the shield of an S/Pdif cable, but that HF noise shouldn’t be there at the shield in first place. It would be my strategy too battle that (possible) noise at some other place.

Ferrites on a glass toslink ???? :-)

I know you said you didn’t feel for trying too ad some caps before (and some smaller behind) the ferrites because your P24 line was already fully occupied with ferrites.
On the risk of being ‘pushy’, I again will give the advice too try and place some caps.
Especially with use of an P24 extension cable it’s very easy too do.
You don’t even have too so solder !! Just use a set of needle-nose pliers too push the metal legs of the caps in place between the plastic outside of the P24 connector and the metal wire snap on inside the plastic connector. (click on pictures below too enlarge and too see how easy this can be done) No soldering needed ! I just check with my multi-meter too see if the metal legs make good contact. That’s all.

Van on filtering, demping, ect

Van on filtering, demping, ect

Tomorrow a variety of some 30 oscon caps will arrive. Caps have such a profound and positive effect on sound quality difference in my setup when placed before and after the ferrites, that I will start searching for the best combinations before and after the ferrites. And than eventually, when I found the right combination, I will solder the caps onto the P24 before and after the ferrites.

By the way: I now know why I can cold boot into 110 mHz busspeed. These days I experimented a lot with caps on and off the P24 before and after the ferrites and I discovered that it is the caps on the P24 mobo socket.
For quite some time already I used as much extra caps on the P24 as the Pico or Antec ATX would tolerate on the 3.3 and 5 volt line. The Pico doesn’t tolerate much. Only some 330 uF per voltage. But the Antec ATX tolerates very large values of 4700 uF per voltage. But I never did try how low I could go. I just put them there as extra current-reservoir and noise shunt. Although I didn’t hear any SO improvement at all (which I had expected because on the P4 extra caps will give some SQ improvement). But I just left the caps on the P24, because I also did not hear any sound quality degradation also.
Only when I started realizing that the lower the swithing-speeds of logic on the MoBo, the lower the HF noise production there will be on the MoBo, I tried how low I could go with busspeeds.
But I never realized that it was due too those caps on the P24, which I already have on the P24 for over 1,5 years now.

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.